Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Foreshadowing by Cardinal de Hoyos?


Since so many bishops have decided to play word games with the Holy See in an effort to squash the Traditional Mass, we've been waiting for a follow-up to Summorum Pontificum (the document that freed up the use of the old rite) for a while now.


Cardinal Castrillon de Hoyos is the head of the Ecclesia Dei commission, which is the body that is supposed to be regulating this issue. He has made some comments that indicate the awaited response will be quite forceful. The comments were part of an introduction he filmed for a Traditional Mass instructional DVD being released by the Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter (an order dedicated to the old rite) and EWTN. Your priest can get a copy here.


Anyways, here's the Catholic News Agency article with the good Cardinal's comments. I don't know the context of these next lines, but I just about soiled myself when I first read them:


The cardinal said that parishes and priests should make available the Extraordinary Form so that “everyone may have access to this treasure of the ancient liturgy of the Church.” He also stressed that, “even if it is not specifically asked for, or requested” it should be provided. Interestingly, he added that the Pope wants this Mass to become normal in parishes, so that “young communities can also become familiar with this rite.”

Everybody got that? Whether or not it's asked for! And, God be praised if it happens, normalization! Let's hope that this is a sign of an upcoming move that puts all the obstructionist bishops on notice.


And if anybody cares, I was born waaaay after the Pauline Mass was adopted, so I'm not some old fogey suffering from listless nostalgia.


Speaking of old fogeys, though, I'll make one final comment. I go to a Pauline Mass most eveyr Sunday because that's all we have here. When I'm out of town, I hit the Traditional Mass. It never fails to be a packed house, with probably 3/4 of the congregation being my age, give or take 5 years. Note the contrast with the crowd present for the Call to Action sacrilege below.


Encouraging stuff for the future.

No comments: