Monday, July 14, 2008

An Offense Against God vs. Half a Million Dollars

That's basically what our buddy Dan is weighing in his current role as a houseguest on the CBS show Big Brother.

Dan is a Catholic school teacher. When I first noted this during the weekend premiere, I reflexively thought, "Please don't do anything to make us papists look bad." He pretty much torpedoed that about five minutes later.

I'm paraphrasing, but the quote went something like this:

I know there are some things I'm going to have to do in here that are contrary to my Faith, but when I get out, I'll go to Confession and take care of that.

Oof. I hope that he was joking when he said that. Personally, I don't think that bluff and misdirection in a game like Big Brother is any different from what you see in poker or Game of Thrones. However, if you think it's a sin that demands confession, you are, in fact, committing a sin because you are convinced that your actions are an offense against God and have decided to do them anyway. This is garden variety rebellion of the Non Serviam sort. So we've got a fellow claiming that he will ignore his determination that he's sinning in order to win money. This is bad. It's even worse that he's doing it while flaunting the Sacrament of Confession.

Dan, remember what you are.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

...because everyone loves a good Game of Thrones shout out!