Saturday, December 6, 2008

Behold, He Comes

As it is Advent, the Incarnation is nigh. We will celebrate the Almighty God's arrival in the flesh to our universe of space and time. I was thinking of the following to help set the mood for kids in my Catechism class. It's the Cherubic Hymn from the Liturgy of St. James. I don't know if he's really the guy who wrote it, but I can think of few words more appropriate for the occasion.

Let all mortal flesh be silent, and stand with fear and trembling, and meditate nothing earthly within itself:—

For the King of kings and Lord of lords, Christ our God, comes forward to be sacrificed, and to be given for food to the faithful; and the bands of angels go before Him with every power and dominion, the many-eyed cherubim, and the six-winged seraphim, covering their faces, and crying aloud the hymn, Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I've been reading the Sermons of St. Leo the Great on the Nativity and they have been fantastic so far. Definitely check them out if you get a chance.

-Bonaventure

Throwback said...

Yep. I'm probably going to be wrapping up Advent with Sermon 24.