Friday, May 15, 2009

Fr. Hesburgh doesn't like me

Fr. Hesburgh insults me. Read:


"It's like a common place where people who disagree can get together, instead of throwing bricks at one another, they can discuss the problem and they can see different solutions to difficult problems and those solutions are going to come out of people from universities. They aren't going to come from people running around with signs," he said.


I'm a guy that runs around with signs. Not often enough, I stand on the sidewalk with signs making clear just what an abortion is. The sign I carry is of a boy named Malachi who never got to attend Notre Dame because he was ripped limb from limb in an abortion. The picture is gruesome and I hate it. But I carry it because it is gruesome. The reality is gruesome, awful, and monstrous. This is the price for the sexual revolution.

Fr. Hesburgh thinks I am just running around with signs, and that the dialogue to happen this Sunday is better than what I do. Well, I know that the signs have saved lives, because the people who didn't kill their unborn children have told me. I doubt very much that the nuanced mutual back-scratching among academics and their academic-turned-president will save a single baby's life.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I doubt very much that the nuanced mutual back-scratching among academics and their academic-turned-president will save a single baby's life.It seems that you've returned the insult. There is a place for both types of action. People need to see and understand the passion of "sign carriers." You also have the direct impact you've observed.

At some point, there needs to be dialogue and political progress. Sign carrying might not be the best way to initiate that dialogue.