Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Beatification

I apologize for the lack of updates. The universe has been overly complicated lately.

By now, everyone has heard about the beatification of JPII, which has been scheduled for May 1. It's so much news that I'm not even going to bother with a link. I've mentioned before that I particularly think this is a good idea.

Pontificates are weird things, and I'm not sure that they can be evaluated all that well less than a decade from their close. There's a lot of bad stuff that has come out regarding John Paul II's reign just recently (eg- Fr. Maciel). Whatever one's thoughts about the former pontiff's personal holiness, it seems like applying a bit of caution here might be for the best. Sure, JPII could be in heaven, but granting him beatification or any other measures rushing through his cause could cause a great deal of scandal to Catholics and the world at large even if more bad stuff doesn't come out.

I'm just not sure why there's such a rush.

No comments: