Friday, February 10, 2012

Predictions


Pain.


But not necessarily in the way Clubber Lang meant it. After some reflection on the HHS mandate shenanigans, I've come to a few conclusions. Feel free to don your tinfoil hat.

First, I don't see the president backing down. This was such a blatant slap in the face that I find it hard to believe that he (or his handlers) didn't see anything of the political backlash that would occur. In other words, he's prepared to take this heat. Moreover, changing course now would be tantamount to admitting he was wrong. Who thinks that will happen?

Second, I don't see the bishops backing down either. Sure, some might do so, but I think the vast majority will stand firm. Obama has shown his hand now. The ones who are serious about this will probably never trust him again. Any "compromise" that might be offered will only be an incremental victory for the culture of death, and I don't think the current crop of shepherds will go for that.

Remember, compromise almost always favors the revolutionaries. See the last 50 years of Church history for an example.

Third, there is little chance of the mandate standing. It's so obviously illegal and unconstitutional that the courts should strike it down. However, I do expect it to get to the Supreme Court for its swan song. There are six Catholics sitting as justices. Let's not speculate on how faithful they are. It's irrelevant. The point is that, when this is struck down, Catholics will be voting to do so. At that point, you will see the left make a massive outcry about Catholics as judges, specifically on the Supreme Court. I fully expect legislation to be introduced on the issue. Hopefully, it fails. I give it about a 50/50 shot.

Fourth, unless Obama is defeated, which is hardly a fait accompli, his attacks on the Church will intensify. The champion of tolerance will permit anything except the Truth. He won't forget this uprising and will make sure to punish the Church as far as his considerable power will allow.

Fifth, which is really just an extension of the preceding item, I fully expect the mainstream media and various leftists to develop a sudden interest in the Church's tax-exempt status. You're already hearing some rumblings of this. "Those Catholic hospitals, etc. are just regular businesses. They should be taxed like everything else."

This political involvement by the bishops will no doubt start a movement to strip the Church of its exemption in an effort to destroy it.

Sixth, and I REALLY hope this one is just tinfoil hat stuff, but historically speaking, when this kind of legal submission is asked of the Church, the next step is typically to seek registration and licensure of priests and parishes. If the mandate's exemptions for parishes stick, or if the Church is allowed to keep its tax-exempt status, I can see a "compromise" offered by the government. The Church can carry on, but its clergy and property will be subjected to very specific regulations by the State.

I know, I know. It can't happen here. I'm sure that's what they said in Spain, Mexico, England, France, and so forth. I'm sure folks think that people in the US weren't being forcibly sterilized even in the 1980s (see Oregon). Or that we put people into internment camps during WWII. Last I checked Buck v. Bell and Korematsu v. US hadn't actually been overturned.

All I'm saying is that nobody should be surprised if things get worse.

No comments: