Monday, March 11, 2013

Handicapping And Hope

I'm not a professional, so I'm not going to pretend that I know who is going to be the next Successor of Peter. I'll just continue to relay what other folks are saying. In the battle of what Rocco Palma has labeled as "The Curia vs. The World," most sources now have it as a race between Cardinals Scola (as the reformer) and Cardinal Scherer (as the guy who won't do anything).

Yeah, I know. Walk in a Pope; walk out a cardinal.

That being said, I feel compelled to offer the following. It wouldn't shock folks here to find out that I'm hoping for Cardinal Burke or Cardinal Ranjith. That's nothing against Cardinal Scola or any of the other guys who we think would be good picks (+Piacenza, +Sarah, etc.). All I'm saying is that I think there are two candidates who seem especially equipped for what is going down in the modern age.

That being said, I offer the following item from Professor John Rao, who is covering the conclave for Rorate.

Aside from calling attention to the contagious excitement around me, I can also pass on one small, encouraging bit of information that will be of interest to the readers of Rorate Caeli. Aside from the usual papabili, such as Cardinals Scola and Scherer, the name of one solid favorite, Malcolm Ranjith, has come up more than once in my hearing in just one single afternoon.

No less a source than the highly influential Corriere della Sera has noted Ranjith’s “outsider” chances, but other rather knowledgeable figures on the Vatican side of the Tiber as well. I heard him mentioned as having some dozens of supporters in the College - a not insignificant number if a horse race develops. Interestingly enough, moreover, Ranjith’s name was brought up not for, for instance, the liturgy - but on other grounds entirely. What I heard underlined was the fact that he is an impressive polyglot - Ranjith is conversant in many, many languages, a skill of great value to a Supreme Pontiff - and that his renowned administrative, diplomatic, and conciliatory talents have been confirmed by the honored role that he plays in public affairs in his own religiously divided country.

In short, in addition to quiet conservative cardinals who might find him attractive for his doctrinal and liturgical solidity, there may be others who would join in electing Ranjith for neutral reasons of serious merit.

From your pen to God's ears, Professor. Let us all pray that God will grant us the Holy Father that we need, rather than the one we deserve.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

All I can say is yes,let us pray...amen +

Anonymous said...

Oh another thing I can say is that I'd like to know more about professor John.Rorate is good for something and not so good for something else. They've gotten up uhmm..up my nose a few times and I don't even go around there much.

Throwback said...

He's a history professor at St. John's. He has a lot of really good talks at http://www.keepthefaith.org/